1990 BX TGD Wagon, MOT Nov Tax Sept

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Brian Damaged

1990 BX TGD Wagon, MOT Nov Tax Sept

Post by Brian Damaged »

Taxed until 30-9-09, MOT 20-10-09. 226,000m.

Rear suspension cylinder leaking severely and rendering it undriveable, otherwise in scruffy but sound condition.

Was in daily use up until last Friday, covering 35-40m a day commuting with ease, and returning 50mpg.

Ideal for someone with the time, space, inclination and car-sympathetic wife to do the work. I have none of those things.

All I want for it is scrap value, plus the value of the 4 months Road Tax in the window.....and for the prospective buyer to be able to collect it this weekend.

If it's not claimed by Friday 5th June then I have no option but to cash the tax in, and bale the rest.

Brian
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Brian wrote
"and car-sympathetic wife to do the work."

my wife would not do the work required either TEA HE

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Shame Brian, but I know you've got something just as excellent and sheddy to replace it! :wink:
Turboalternator
Confirmed BX'er

Your poor BX

Post by Turboalternator »

Hallo Brian,

I realise that the pressures of life are often very cruel to sentiments. But please resist if you can. We need to keep as many Bx's on the road as possible and without trying to be offensive, (I really promise you I mean this), you are doing a great dis-service to yourself and your BX by imposing such a tight deadline as this week end. (Especially, given where you live).

If it is your rear suspension strut that is leaking then it is not too difficult a job to have it replaced with a second hand job. The forum will give you plenty of advice how to do it.

Even if you cannot do it then at least extend the deadline. (I would suggest 3 - 4 weeks as a minimum).

By the way the one who has to be obeyed .. is she an Ursula Andress type or Margaret Thatcher type? I only ask because I am trying to work out what your chances of success are! (Downright disobedience I mean of course).

Best regards,
19 TRS Estate
In the past: 2CV, Dyane 4, GSA
Be faithful to your BX and she'll be faithful back
Brian Damaged

Post by Brian Damaged »

There are other reasons, but they are (and will remain) personal.

I've assuaged any feelings of guilt I may have otherwise felt by offering it up for someone else to take on, but if no-one steps up before Friday, then it will have to be baled.

Mods can you either lock (or better still remove) this topic please.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Brian, no need to get the mods to lock this thread. You've made your position clear, if no one can take it on, then its your car so you can do with it what you wish.

I'm sure i can speak for many of the club members on here when i say that Turboalternator in his comments meant no disrepect to you or your decision. We always try & get cars saved & a longer deadline is a better prospect for saving a car than not. Thats why with a certain level of passion always try to get the current owner to give more time etc... Its not personal.

However, we alse respect the fact that its your choice/decision & of course you need not tell us your personal reasons unless you choose to do so. Its a shame, but we cant save them all.

All the best for the future, & hopefully you may have another bx sometime soon :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I think TurboAlternator might have considered his post a little more carefully before posting. Telling someone they should keep a damaged car on their driveway for a month, and then prying into the personal reasons why they should do this is a bit much IMO.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment that it would be a shame for an otherwise good Taxed and MOT'd car to be scrapped for the want of a rear suspension cylinder (of which I probably have half-a-dozen here), I don't agree with the way it was said.

Brian... should you consider otherwise, you'd be welcome to a suspension cylinder for nothing. Should be a relatively easy job to swap over too...
this might be a signature
Turboalternator
Confirmed BX'er

My Apologies

Post by Turboalternator »

Hallo Brian

As far as I'm concerned this thread will be locked to me after this post.

But first let me apologise to you. The other members are right and I should have known that it was probably one of the most difficult decisions you had to make to scrap your car. Really and truly I should have known better.

No one keeps a 19 year old car unless they truly love her. That is the real truth about all this.

So please Brian forgive me. I hope at least you will understand that it is my passion for BX's that led me to write what I did.

Lastly, there is one error in what others are saying: I did not pry into your personal life .. I was only making light in response to what you said in your other thread:

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10664

Best wishes
19 TRS Estate
In the past: 2CV, Dyane 4, GSA
Be faithful to your BX and she'll be faithful back
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Like David, I have s/hand cylinders which I'd gladly offer FOC to anyone taking this car on.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Funnily enough, I'm going to be over Brian's way on Saturday, but there's no way I could take it away if it isn't driveable.
Brian Damaged

Post by Brian Damaged »

Dollywobbler wrote:Funnily enough, I'm going to be over Brian's way on Saturday, but there's no way I could take it away if it isn't driveable.
You could take it Ian, you'd just need a very large drum of LHM!!! :D

There was no offence taken by me at anyone's comments...I understand you guys are enthusiasts and have no desire to see another BX die. I'd sooner not either, but needs must. To me it was always just a daily, my Dyane is the one that gets my love.

I've just taken the tax out, and am waiting for my ol' man to come over with his transfer pump and a couple of Jerry cans to get the £35-worth of diesel out of the tank.

Unfortunately it really is sitting in the Last Chance Saloon right now.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i wouldnt go putting that diesel into your DYANE they dont like it TEA HE
regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Brian Damaged

Post by Brian Damaged »

Now cubed. Thanks for your interest.