Water in the footwell

Anything about BXs
roody262
Confirmed BX'er

Water in the footwell

Post by roody262 »

I've got a problem, everytime i wash the hurricane the divers side footwell ends up with abit of a puddle building up :(

I'm pretty sure the water is running down the inside of the door seal but not sure where it starts or why. Anyone else has this problem or any ideas of how to solve it? The footwell remains dry when it rains only gets wet when i wash it.

Thanks
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Leave the car dirty?

Drill a hole in the floorpan to let the water out?

Am I helping yet?

Actually, the best way to locate a leak like this it to have someone sit in the car while you replicate the circumstances that cause the leak. There's a far better chance you'll find it like that.
this might be a signature
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I had this problem with my 306, in my case water came in when the car was wet (washed, or in the rain) and the door was opened.

It sounds obvious but look at the rubber around the door, check for splits or holes ...
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

When I had a similar problem, I finally found that it was the drivers side front sunroof drain tube, which had been moved during some work by the previous owner. Instead of the end of the tube draining into the space between the hinge pillar and the front wheelarch.......mine was draining straight into the footwell!!!

I had to remove the trim panel down next to the accelerator pedal, then have a feel around to find the tube, through the access hole. The tube on mine was coming out of the access hole, but couldnt be seen as it was still behing the trim panel! All I did was push the end back into it's correct place.

Could also be either the sunroof seal itself, allowing water (or rain) to find a way inside, or (as you suspect) could be the drivers door seal not sealing correctly. If the door has "sagged" a little over time, it can let water in at the top.

Good luck!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I had this , my dad cured it by opening the door and then the window, he gently bent the window frame in a bit while my brother held the door still .

it hasent leaked since
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

mountainmanUK (Dave) wrote

"Could also be either the sunroof seal itself,"

the seal is not a seal its a draft felt, these sun roof system is ment to allow water past the draft felt then into the gully on top of the head linning, then its ment to drain away through the 4 drain tubes one at each cornner of the gully, the cornners get blocked with debrie/rubbish,

to clear them find the bottem ends of all 4 drain tubes, as mountainmanUK (Dave) said were to find the front two, and the rear two are behind the two rear light units,

once found give them a good blast with an air line, mind you have a dust sheet over the seats first

regards malcolm

ps.
all the above if you have a slide and tilt sun roof
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I come across this problem with the 19TRS as well.

I thought it was the Sunroof at first but after tape on the sunroof the leak was still there. I couldnt find a obvious leak thru the door but what I did find was a leak in the corner of the windscreen.

Did not look much just a small rust spot and probably the result of a new windscreen being put in a some time in its 18 years. After putting some sealant on the area and cleaning it up no leak!

Was quite surprising how much water a Hosepipe can force into a small gap!
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

And a different one from me... :lol:

I had wet fotwell in my first TD. Turned out the concertina tube that carries the wires into the door had rotated and when the door was closed was getting pinched in the door seal, thus bridging it and letting the water in. Rotated it back again and it stopped leaking!
I NEED a BX TD.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

another i have seen is either rust holes in the scuttle under the bonnet, or the bulkhead drains blocked, causeing water to come in through the cab air intake

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

two more i have seen is either rust holes in the scuttle under the bonnet, or the bulkhead drains blocked, causeing water to come in through the cab air intake

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
roody262
Confirmed BX'er

Post by roody262 »

RichardW wrote:And a different one from me... :lol:

I had wet fotwell in my first TD. Turned out the concertina tube that carries the wires into the door had rotated and when the door was closed was getting pinched in the door seal, thus bridging it and letting the water in. Rotated it back again and it stopped leaking!
That piece of information may have solved my problem, thank you very much! Its so obveous when i look at it now, can see where the seal wasnt against the door and where the tube was pinched between the seal and the door. Just have to wait till the next wash to see if its helped, wont be till after my exams finish although that is very soon!

Another HUGE thumbs up for the BX Club community!