In for MOT today...

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

In for MOT today...

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My GTi is in for it's test today. Fingers crossed (at least I know the welding that was needed is going pass!)... 8-[
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

PASSED :D No advisories. Did an ATF change and fitted new exhaust while there... The fluid was in a terrible state, must do another change in the next few thousand and keep doing it every year I think!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Congrats!

If the fluid was REALLY black, smelling and generally filthy, it would be best to change it again after a few hundred miles, or sooner..

The torque converter never completly empties, so it always holds a fair bit of dirge, which gets recycled into the box whilst running, hence even after an oil change the fluid can look black and rancid after minutes.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Philip Chidlow wrote:PASSED :D No advisories.
Nice one Philip !
I always try and basically do a pre-MOT check myself (With the visual/mechanical checks) so as to get no surprises, as you have done with the welding etc; this gives the MOT tester a bit more confidence when testing your car that you look after it by doing proper/preventive maintenance, rather than just relying on an annual MOT to put things right !
All you need now is that low mileage TZD estate to add to you fleet (If I see anything locally or otherwise I'll send you a PM), cheers for now !
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

docchevron1472 wrote:Congrats!

If the fluid was REALLY black, smelling and generally filthy, it would be best to change it again after a few hundred miles, or sooner..

The torque converter never completly empties, so it always holds a fair bit of dirge, which gets recycled into the box whilst running, hence even after an oil change the fluid can look black and rancid after minutes.
I am inclined to do that, Chris, yes. Maybe do it before Christmas when the next service is due. Ta!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Well done Phil, Ive got 2 of mine due in the next couple of months, GT should be fine but the St Tropez will need some welding and maybe a couple of arm bearings doing.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Good for another year then Phil, nice one :), mine was due next month and would probably have got through with a new exhaust.
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

well done ! all the best
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

RxBX wrote:
Philip Chidlow wrote:PASSED :D No advisories.
Nice one Philip !
I always try and basically do a pre-MOT check myself (With the visual/mechanical checks) so as to get no surprises, as you have done with the welding etc; this gives the MOT tester a bit more confidence when testing your car that you look after it by doing proper/preventive maintenance, rather than just relying on an annual MOT to put things right !
All you need now is that low mileage TZD estate to add to you fleet (If I see anything locally or otherwise I'll send you a PM), cheers for now !
What he said /\ :)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Phillip wrote
"must do another change in the next few thousand and keep doing it every year I think!"

why not fit hydraflush for around a 1000 miles, but make sure to get it into all the dead end circuits bleed all the brakes till flushing fluid flows through

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

citronut wrote:why not fit hydraflush for around a 1000 miles, but make sure to get it into all the dead end circuits bleed all the brakes till flushing fluid flows through

regards malcolm
I was referring to the automatic gearbox fluid. But what would happen I wonder if I flushed the gearbox using hydrorinçage? :D
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Erm, BANG :shock: I'd wager it would strip itself of any lubricating areas, not to be recommended. I'm sure theres someone out there thats tried it, any of the Dutch nutters know of anyone :wink: :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Philip Chidlow wrote: I was referring to the automatic gearbox fluid. But what would happen I wonder if I flushed the gearbox using hydrorinçage? :D
If you ARE inclined to try it, I think I still have a stripped GTi autobox laying around.. You'll need it!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I certainly am NOT contemplating it. Malcolm misinterpreted my post and I was making light of it :lol: :lol: :lol:
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Xantia VSX Estate-146K-1996 (The wifes car)
BX TZD Turbo-317K- Awaiting repair/donor car(broken subframe)
BX TZD Turbo-202K-project car ongoing
BX TZD Turbo-212k-One owner car rescued from being scrapped.
2CV Charleston-101K-One owner car awaiting restoration.
ZX Memphis-185K-Wifes daily driver.

Post by citro-geoff »

Hi Guys,got my TZD mot'd yesterday.Laid the car up in June,and didn't realize the mot was up mid Oct. Now got an mot until Oct 11 next year.Straightened the front and fitted the new bumper yesterday too. Just got to sort a couple of mechanical issues out now,so will soon have it on the road again. Going to move the 16v to my other garage this morning,so the next project is getting nearer. Will probably wait till the new year before I start it. The CX safri will suffice for now as my daily driver!!
1995 ZX Memphis TD Saloon 176k
1997 XANTIA VSX ESTATE-112K(the Wife's!!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo Estate 202k waiting repairs for mot.(Just started to fix it!!)
1985 2CV 100k - waiting full restoration.