Rear Brake Calliper Through Bolt

BX Tech talk
Brian
BXpert

Rear Brake Calliper Through Bolt

Post by Brian »

Just been looking through my bits and pieces and came across this.

Some time back I was working on the rear brakes, and was unable to locate new bolts, as I had to destroy the original ones.

So I found some 4" nails that were perfect for the job, just required a thread cutting and some nuts and washers and that did the trick.

This was a spare one I kept.

IMG]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/ ... 04676m.jpg[/IMG]
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Photo did not register for some unknown reason, so here it is again.

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Someone used a split pin on mine. You can buy the original bolts at the dealers BTW. Same as Xantia hatch ones. I got the plates and everything. £13 IIRC.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

When a through bolt self-destructed during rear caliper dissasembly I went round to the local "serious" toolshop with the surviving one and found a bolt/nut combination there to make a decent match. Luckily it's very close to where I was working on the BX.

The terminally corroded through bolt is one of many potential pitfalls to be prepared for when starting a seemingly straightforward rear brake job (e.g. seized bleed nipples, disintegrating plates, stuck caliper pistons (best removed with aid of a footpump), corroded caliper bodies, rusting brake pipes etc. etc. ).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DLM wrote: when starting a seemingly straightforward rear brake job (e.g. seized bleed nipples,
1) What's the best way of removing these?

2) Where can you buy new ones? (I drew a blank before at GSF & the Stealer!)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Well, some bleed nipples respond to treatment and some don't - it's a sad fact of life.
Wire-brushing in the first place, and then regular application of loosening juice WELL IN ADVANCE of any brake work - i.e. for anything up to a week - is recommended.

Careful application of heat can help, though this can be tricky to manage as you're in close proximity to rubber brake lines and seals - and of course the heat transmits through the caliper body. A proper close-fitting spanner/hex-headed wrench is essential, as once any rounding takes place you're onto a loser. Firm, steady, but not excessive pressure is also key - possibly including a little to-and-fro movement in the first instance, or if things start to tighten up once started. Too much welly, or too much leverage, is likely to cause you problems.

Even then you won't win them all. I've snapped them, like many people. Just make sure you keep any old calipers you can get for part-recycling - and it's a wonderful confidence-builder to have a spare or reconned caliper ready to fit before you start, in case of the worst.

As for new bleed nipples, they're pretty elusive: I haven't found any particularly reliable source though Citroen should still supply them.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Well if it's a bad day and the bleed nipple shears off, then this is what I did...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19621
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

There is some strange goings on, not transfering the items...

Anyway, here one of the pictures, this will give you some idea...

Drilled out the old one, tapped for a larger thread, turned a replacement from scewed rod using just a drill in a vice..Caliper was then re-usable..