Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

mat_fenwick wrote:
JayW wrote:1 ton metal + high speed + loose surface = Fun.
Not always - just look back a couple of pages... :oops:
I had that down as sub-10mph... :lol:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

JayW wrote: Trouble is they still occur regularly... Michael Park for one. RIP.
Not really true is it? We've lost more rally starts to helicopter crashes and brain tumours than we have to accidents lately. Very few deaths today, which is incredible given that the current crop of rally cars seem as quick, if not quicker than the Group B monsters.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Finally got round to removing my cracked sump yesterday - and whilst underneath noticed a whole host of jobs needing doing. :(

My temporary 'repair' wasn't 100% oil tight...

First of them being a split CV boot, also the lower engine mount needs replacing AGAIN and a bit of rust on the front crossmember below the radiator (fortunately only light surface rust). The strangest problem was two puncture marks in the O/S sill, as if someone had used a jack with pointed corners on the outer face of the sill. But they weren't there last year, and the car hasn't been out of my sight unless parked at home since. I don't even let tyre places jack it up after a bad experience with one of the 'trained' monkeys working there...

Fortunately I have both the CV boot and engine mount in stock, but I'm struggling to get hold of the A/C compressor mounting bushes on the sump. Mine have worn to the extent that the belt was pulling the compressor out of line, and causing it to squeak. NLA according to Citroen and Peugeot so will have to get some made up I think, unless someone knows differently?

The other problem I've got is a water leak - the driver's footwell fills up with water after heavy rain, which does happen every now and again in Wales. Looking up behind the dash it seemed damp underneath the scuttle so I feared the worst that it had rusted through. After taking both the fans and washer bottles out it seemed pretty good, which only adds to the mystery of where it is getting in!

Better condition than I had thought - no rust visible. I'll give all the seams a coat of waxoyl while it's accessible anyway.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote:
The other problem I've got is a water leak - the driver's footwell fills up with water after heavy rain, which does happen every now and again in Wales. Looking up behind the dash it seemed damp underneath the scuttle so I feared the worst that it had rusted through. After taking both the fans and washer bottles out it seemed pretty good, which only adds to the mystery of where it is getting in!
I take it that you have checked the sunroof drains (or perhaps you haven't got a sunroof) ? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's an estate, so no sunroof.

Mind you - I've always been a bit puzzled by the way the Heuliez estate bit attaches to the 'normal' BX at the front. Is it possible there's something there?

Otherwise, windscreen seal perhaps?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hmm, I've already sealed around the windscreen as that was my first thought. I suppose it could be door seal (although nothing visibly dripping when I sit in the car) and the dampness under the dash simply condensation?

Time for the chalk test maybe...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I'm sure you've considered it Mat, but could it be the little heater rad ( or whatever it's called) is leaking? They leak from the inlet/outlet end which would deposit in your driver footwell and behind your dash. I know it doesn't explain the rain but..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The heater matrix is fine - the water is definitely rainwater not coolant - it tastes much nicer.

The sump is now welded back up again by a guy at Lana's work. It held some switch cleaner which is very thin without leaks so should be oil tight. I've had a (cunning!) plan regarding the compressor bushes - as I can't seem to source them I've found some tight fitting fuel hose and pushed that through the lugs on the sump. I've then drilled out the hose to be a slight interference fit with the O/D of the metal insert in the original bushes. Time will tell I suppose whether it all works!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Glycol coolent tastes sweeter than water, that's why it has been put into wine by dodgy wine producers in the past.

But I expect you can tell the difference though, so rain water it will be.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Sump now on and seems to be holding oil OK. Mounting the compressor took slightly longer than expected as the worn bushes had allowed a mounting bolt to move around in the lug on the compressor, wearing the hole oval. Managed to get a better fit by drilling it out and sleeving it with a bit of steel tube.
It's all nicely in line now and my makeshift bushes seem to hold it rigidly, but I still need to change the driveshaft gaitor and the lower engine mount. Oh and find/fix the water leak...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

MOT day tomorrow (realised last Thursday :oops: ) Had to do the first welding for the test on Saturday, but not rust - two bizzare piercings in the sill! :?

Simple job to weld 'em back up though.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

And in other news, the boiler refused to fire on Saturday, the blower motor had been sounding a little rough for a while so that was the first suspect. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the motor was dead simple to strip down and all that was required was one £2 bearing. Although I will replace both for piece of mind now it's in bits.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Bizarre holes!
Boilers..bowl of contention in this house, bloody damn thing only ever packs up when it's cold...

Good luck on the ticket!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Well, it failed…but only on the wiper blade. Which ironically I was going to get last Friday, except the place I was in didn't have one of the right length. The garage put one on for me, so all legal again! ^^bx>

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Wahhaaay! Brilliant result.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Cheers, but not quite as good as it sounds - I got an advisory on the rear arm bearings (although I did expect it as they started squeaking last week) and also front brake hoses. That's going to be near enough £100 on bits :(

I've bid on a pair of rear arm kits on eBay for £40, so fingers crossed!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad