Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Right. First big trip for the BX today. Sadly there is a problem - I did 25 miles in it yesterday and it seems to have lost 1 litre of coolant. Clearly the leak wasn't just from the pump. I've got over 60 miles to do just to get to Mat this afternoon, and we're then meant to be heading to Anglesey. I have loaded up with water...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Maybe there was an airlock (trying to be optimistic!) Oh well, it would indeed be a dull trip if we knew we were going to get back.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That's entirely possible. It's a tricky system to get air free in one sitting I've discovered. I can't see a leak anywhere so I'll just hope for the best!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I would let it tick over with the cap off and the heater on full, and squeeze the hoses and see if its "burps". Had a same problem before on one of mine. Have you opened the big screw at the end of the radiator and see if air comes out?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Good plan. I'll do that now. All I've really done so far is undone the big bleed screw on the 'stat.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The bleeding seemed successful. 250 miles completed without (serious) issue!

Here's an impromptu BX meet at Mat's house.

The 'problem' list is still quite lengthy on the BX. Pretty much every side window seal is knackered, but I'm hoping replacement doors will cure this. The hydraulic pump seems to be knackered too - replacing the accumilator sphere has not stopped the pump from running almost continuously. However, when I collected the new tailgate, I was able to get a second-hand pump as well. £20 the pair. Sorted!

Before undertaking any more big trips though, I need to sort the suspension out. I think the RH strut top mount is knackered, though I now have replacements. I also now have some replacement wishbones, so this should all make a big difference. It handles well enough, but you can feel stuff moving about that really shouldn't!

Overall though, I'm very happy given that this car was sitting forgotten in a garage two months ago.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

You have done very well to have got her up and running in such a short time.
Methinks a big pat on the back is due.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes well done Ian, good on you.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks, though I'm sure Mat will agree that there's still an awful lot to do!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Frustratingly, I'm getting nowhere fast with the BX. Just haven't got time at the moment to do anything with it, which is likely to be the case until at least November due to a major house project. It has come in useful for jump starting a reluctant Range Rover on several occasions!

One thing I do need to do is drop the coolant flush and actually get some anti-freeze in there. Instructions said to leave it in for 15 minutes 'or longer.' Well, it's certainly been longer...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's got rather chilly of late, so I finally dropped the coolant flush and bunged some anti-freeze in. I suspect my mixture is a bit too weak - I ran out of anti-freeze - but I still need to replace the fan switch at some point and fit the temperature gauge sender, so will get an opportunity to increase the mixture when I finally do that.

Does definitely feel a bit sluggish. Fuel filter change is a high priority.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Can i just say i really like your estate Ian. Even if it has faults, its lovely.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Stinkwheel wrote:Can i just say i really like your estate Ian. Even if it has faults, its lovely.
Yes, you certainly can say that! I happen to agree entirely. Just looking at it squatting on the driveway makes me smile.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:
Stinkwheel wrote:Can i just say i really like your estate Ian. Even if it has faults, its lovely.
Yes, you certainly can say that! I happen to agree entirely. Just looking at it squatting on the driveway makes me smile.
Indeed, hats off tto you mate, shame your not in the CCC as you and it are in Octobers BX'Clusive! :wink:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Um, any chance of getting a copy of that one? Cheeky I know, but I could always claim it's for journalistic reasons!

Anyway, the BX has been working hard today, with a huge ladder bungee chorded to the roof!

My mate gave me the crossbars, but didn't really have the right connectors for it. Somehow bodged it on and then lashed the ladder to it (while feeling very glad that I only had a gentle drive of about a mile!) but it'd be nice to be able to do this properly...