Pheonix from the flames? The TD Auto rebuild (in colour!!)

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

cavmad wrote: Some of us, (ok, probably just me) would have been in a nice padded room wearing a straight jacket and mumbling incoherently by now :D
Thats what I spend most of my time doing!!! :D
And by god dont these dominatrix types charge much kerching these days!! :lol:

Thanks Billy, You are all lovely peeps!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Busy day, delivered all the panels to the body shop for spraying in finest Vert Triton.

Collected the generator dad so kindly purchased for me, then spent some time working out how the hell to get it out of the car!!

I've gota get some leads and do some building up on it but I should have power (lots of) tomorrow so can start cutting the back end off!

Finished repairing the roof lining and zinc coated the entire inner surface of the roof skin:

The installed the lining in the car having applied lots of glup to the front edges. Fitting a roof lining on your own is a $%$$%%^&*&*^^!
Took about 2 hours of grunting and I invented some new swear words specially for the occasion!

The cables were removed, cleaned and liberally greased, then all the covers were cleaned and painted to keep the rot out and hopefully ensure it slides nicely.
Needs cleaning but it looks better than the bags that have filled the hole in the roof for the last few weeks:

Then I attacked one of the wheels I got from El Presidente and started rubbing down ready for spraying:

It has some surface corrosion so thats been removed and high bridge filler applied to hopefully ensure a tidy paint finish....

Hopefully tomorrow will see the rear panel come off and the dash fitted up (and if I can work out how to install it all the wiring should be finished!)

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Keeps the posts coming Chris, this is good stuff 8)
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Where are you working the miracle Chris, not in Lourdes by any chance?

But seriously I would like to know where and when you are there so I can witness for myself your strange and wondrous works 8) .

I could even teach you to swear in various african languages seeing as your english cursing vocabulary is running low :?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

ed4ferrets wrote:Where are you working the miracle Chris, not in Lourdes by any chance?

But seriously I would like to know where and when you are there so I can witness for myself your strange and wondrous works 8) .

I could even teach you to swear in various african languages seeing as your english cursing vocabulary is running low :?
Hhmm, I'm always eager to learn swearing in foreign tongues!!

The car is in a building I rent on a farm in Gloucestershire near Stroud.

I can be found there every day untill the car is finished. If you really wana turn up you are welcome mate! It's not that exciting though!

I think you have my number but if not PM me and I'll provide said should you wish to witness an amatuer faking it as a pro!

Cheers
Chris G

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Well, it' been one of those days today where everything I've touched has turned to s£!t. Started by finishing the wiring looms at the back end of the car, and broke one of the plugs... Then I lost an earth lead that runs down the N/S "C" pillar, still aint found it...

Managed to get the alarm working again but I'm not altogether sure how!
The central locking now all works and the indicators are no longer on all the time.

Then I thought I'd fit the dashboard, although in retrospect I should have finished fitting the roof lining up.. :roll:

Having installed the dash it didn't look right, after a while and checking the dash in the valver I pulled it out again and refitted, looks better now.

It took about an hour to get the cables on to the heater controller, complete with grazed knuckles and more swearing.
Only then did I notice that the heater tap was seized, so spent another hour working the thing in and out and it now seems to work. :)
Put the "A" pillar plastic trims on and noticed I could no longer see dur to the sun having bu&&ered off so I packed up.

The panels were all sprayed today so tomorrow I'll collect them and after having some dinner with the boys in 2cv's I'll hoof up to the car and fit a few of them!

Hopefully I can avoid breaking anything tomorrow.......

Cheers
Chris G

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

This is an epic and truly inspiring. Keep up the good work. Are you planning a roll-out ceremony? :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Philip chidlow wrote:This is an epic and truly inspiring. Keep up the good work. Are you planning a roll-out ceremony? :lol:
Not quite Ben Hurr......

I might if it will roll!!!!!

Cheers
Chris G

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Sorry guys, another anal photo selection!

Collected the panels from the paint shop, and trial fitted a few to make sure they looked ok:

I puled the foglights out of the housings since they were crap, and I have new ones!

And they aint cheap even at cost price!!

The housings had overspray on them and looked tatty so I flatted them back and undercoated ready for some satin black tomorrow:

If I can get up early enough and have a good day I should have the back end off tomorrow and hopefully by close of play sunday the rear valance, N/S/R 1/4 wing and some plates on the N/S/R inner wing will be welded and I can start putting an interior in it!

Cheers
Chris G

Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Great work Chris, really really great an as an unrelated aside, who are the boys in 2CV's ?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Thank you sir! I refer to the brill and lovely guys at Bristol 2cv's. Not that I'm on commision to advertise but they are sh&t hot with all things PSA, and provide me with cheap bits!! Bless 'em!

Time for beer.
Cheers
Chris G

Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thats nice of them :-)

Cheap bits, my favourite sort.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Well, after getting rather disappointed with the new genny, we did some heath robinson bodging and plumbed a cable into it since no-one sells a bl**dy plug for it!

Finally got some of the panels on and removed a few!

The front bumper is now on but I still need to fit the splitter.

Once the N/S/R 1/4 wing was off the amount of corrosion underneath became rather apparent and will require some work with the MIG tomorrow.

Cant really see it in the piccies but the rot is right down the edge of the closing panel and into the sill.

The rear valance is now nearly off but I ran out of light before it succombed to the grinder and chisel. Tomorrow it will die!

I'm hoping to have all the welding in the wheel arch finished tomorrow and if I can get the new rear valance on that will be a bonus!

Cheers
Chris G

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

You're taking the DIY to a new level here mate! I'm impressed :D
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Well done Chris,your dedication seems to be an inspiration to all of us.Keep up the good work and keep us updated with your progress.
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................