Pheonix from the flames? The TD Auto rebuild (in colour!!)

Anything about BXs
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Emoticons.

Post by Way2go »

Geoffrey Gould wrote: Absolutely brilliant. Love the "drunk" one, the expressions say it all.
Superb! beers but WTF? is there something wrong with the old whistling emoticon 'cos that will not insert when clicked? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

docchevron1472 wrote:No worries mate. Hope you like the finished product!

Ah yes, the bus transmission.... that was fun.... NOT!

I kinda like proving people wrong, it's the massive ego I think! :D
Whenever someone says "it cant be done" I'll think of a way it can..
Although mo-one said the BX couldn't be done.....
Ok, economically it wasn't worth it, but since it's a one-off whats it really worth?
Should be a minter when it's done, better than mine he he!! :D

Cheers
Chris G
My 16v can't be turned into a concours standard car, by Chrismas, free of charge. It can't be done........

*waits* :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Sterling work, It just goes to show what can be achieved with a lot of dedication, hard work and hopefully the promise of a lot of beer, now for the TD :D Are you going to continue with the 2.1 fuel pump setup (Intrigued)
Stewart
Right then, this will be the last update for a couple of days since I've gota go back to work!

Kitch, If your red beast finds its way to a building near Stroud anything is possible by xmas. Although I'm not saying which xmas!!

In terms of my red beast, the plan at the mo is this:
The rebuilt head is on (triple angle valves, ported, opened out the exhaust manifold) and it's still gona run the Garrett T2 and standard Lucas pump for now just to get it mobile again..
Haven't finished it yet or run it up but if it works I'll plod on with it as is untill next summer and then:

Have a cast iron head made for it (should eliminate gasket issues)
Fit the seriousley modded Bosch pump (5200RPM red line, Twin throttles)
Fit Garrett T3 water cooled turbo (with its own coolant tank, rad and pump)
Fit Full size intercooler
Keep the high lift cam.
I'll aim for 140BHP and see how it goes.......

In terms of the current project, it's reached that stage where although I got alot done today it dont seem like it since I'm now into fiddly bits that take forever!

The wheel from El Presidente is now undercoated, I'll top coat it and lacquer it over the weekend, then have a new tyre hoofed on

Most of the interior trim is now in and I have only the pin strip and N/S/R 1/4 wing trim to fit
Although I went slightly overboard with the panel bonding so will need to clean it up to look spot on:

So hopefully if I can get a full weekend on it then I might just have it looking brill. That leaves a trip to Kitch's to collect a proper Green tint light unit (Bless him!), a bit of welding on the front inner wings and stuffing some new mains, big ends and an oil pump in her complete with 16v sump so all the gauges can work!!!

Ok, I'm biased but I think it's looking good!

Expect another thrilling instalment on saturday. I know, I know, you can hardly wait... :D :D :D

I appear to be drunk , brill!!!
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have decided. That green is my favourite BX colour.

Looks fab. 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip chidlow wrote:I have decided. That green is my favourite BX colour.
Green was a colour out in the cold one period. It seems to have been reborn like Doc's car! 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Good work Doc.Have you cheated and posted some pre-damage pictures as "afters" :D :D :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

Philip chidlow wrote:I have decided. That green is my favourite BX colour.

Looks fab. 8)
Yes, its the BEST BX colour....said completetly without bias!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2007 Sportka
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

Well done Doc, really inspiring work, fantastic results. The car looks truely stunning.
2007 Sportka
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Barnsley BXer wrote:Good work Doc.Have you cheated and posted some pre-damage pictures as "afters" :D :D :D
Thanks all, she looks ok. Not perfect but better than it has in the last few years for sure!

I swear on my grans life (hang on, shes dead :roll: ), that the piccies are defo the genuine post burnt / welding/ painting / fitting up!

Theres a fair bit more to do and I'll continue posting piccies up till shes spanking, on the whole I'm really happy with how the car's turning out. I haven't bu**ered it up too badly! :D
If she falls apart in 200miles then I've only got myself to blame!!!

If it was my car no way would I have been so careful. You always do a better job when it's for someone else I think....

Cheers for now

Chris G

P.S. Venetian Red is still my fav BX colour but I have to say shiny Vert Triton looks bloody stunning!
Last edited by docchevron on Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Well, I popped over to see Doc yesterday (who very kindly exchanged beer for bits :lol: ) and was very, very impressed with the Auto. It now looks like its just having a 'bit of interior work done'. It looks b**dy mint. You would never have thought it was a burnt out shell all of, what, two weeks ago. There's no lighting in the barn so at 6 it was time to stop, which is further testament to Doc's speedy work as I assumed he was at it till midnight every night! (well, he wishes :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: )
Magnificent and enviable work Doc, I don my hat. 8)
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

BX Bandit wrote:Well, I popped over to see Doc yesterday (who very kindly exchanged beer for bits :lol: )
The liver is evil, and must be punished!

I'd sell my legs for a beer!! They were very nice incidentally, so thank you kindly Mr. Bandit!

Well, this weekend has seen plenty of effort but because it's all really fiddly and wiring related it seems like little has occured!

Amazingly, everything seems to work so my wiring skills must be improving!
Although the stereo is dead.... So I've bu**ered something up somewhere!

The front seats are now in with the door cards, spent most of today setting the bl**dy sunroof up but it now fits and tilts and slides so I'm happy!!

The gearstick was a bit of a cow to put back together (I'd forgotten how to do it!) but it all works now:

Got all the pin stripes on which tidies the car up alot:

and mounted the autochanger properly in the boot which is more than did with either of mine, they're just slung in the boot!

All the windows now go up and down:

and I've started posing for Freemans (in fetching seasonal vest!) to fund the last few bits!!!!

(GRATUATUS NUDITY WARNING!)

Next weekend will see the end of this thread (so you can all breathe a sigh of relief!)
I'll probably still have the welding on the front inner wheel arches and main and big end bearings to do but that falls outside the remit of the thread since these few bits have nothing to do with it being torched.

Thanks today to DLM who provided vital bit of plastic trim for the wing the day after his birthday!

Untill next weekend.....

Cheers
Chris G

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

What an accomplishment! 8) :D

:idea: Guess that it was easier to lay the autochanger interconnects with access to the regular cable paths?

The reference & photo about the gearstick also reminded me that Citroen never handed this item so the stick itself obscures the indication. (Got used to mine now so had vitually forgotten it until the photo reminder). :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If it was my car no way would I have been so careful. You always do a better job when it's for someone else I think....
So, so true - except in the case of a small number of garages I've encountered. I'll gladly put up with things on my BX whilst work is "in progress" (as in - "I'll get around to doing it sometime, but....") that I wouldn't wish on anyone else.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Way2go wrote: Guess that it was easier to lay the autochanger interconnects with access to the regular cable paths?

The reference & photo about the gearstick also reminded me that Citroen never handed this item so the stick itself obscures the indication. (Got used to mine now so had vitually forgotten it until the photo reminder). :D
Too true mate! No carpets or seats makes fitting cables nice and easy!

I'm tempted to have a go at modifying the stick so the selection indicator is on the other side of the stick, dont think it should be too difficult!

Ok kids, I lied, this weekend will not see the end of this post, got next to nothing achieved on the car today since I was getting dad's new runaround ready for MOT so hopefully next weekend will see the end of this thread but dont count on it!

The rear brakes were bu**ered on the new runaround, ZX TD thing, very bland! Bendix rear brakes, expensive and crap....

and the drivers door lock didn't work, was obvious why when the door card was off, the plastic arm on the back of the lock was broken

I pillaged one off my mates ZX volcane scrapper so it now all works!

The wheel from El Presidente is now lacqured and back in Bristol so it'll have a tyre fitted monday

BX diesel auto's were never offered with rev counters but we decided it was a good idea, so, it now has one that works, after a fashion (I have to make a bracket up to hold the sensor) but at least I know I got the wiring to it right!

The fuel gauge had been irratic for a while so I've changed the sender unit so it should be smooth again

Oh, and the red beast is back!
8) 8)

Should be some more work tomorrow so maybe some more piccies!

Cheers
Chris G

Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Slightly out of the loop here, is this green Phoenix an auto turbo diesel??