BX Tech talk
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Front indicator removal

Post by white exec »

Am I right in thinking that it's necessary to first remove a headlight, to get access to securing bolt for the late-type indicator unit? Early units unclipped, but looks as if late-type have a side securing bolt/nut.
Chris
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Re: Front indicator removal

Post by Dave_16v »

That appears the way. Just had a look at mine, there is a gap, I think you could get the nut off with the certain spanner but retaining it and refitting will be a challenge. It is not something you do often but I am sure I have had the headlights removed on the occasions I have removed a indicator unit.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Thanks, Dave, for confirming. Headlights out not difficult. :wink:
Chris
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Post by Dave_16v »

No, not hard at all and a good opportunity to give the area a little clean. :D
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Am looking at fitting some discreet DRLs into the lower part of the indicator units.

Good few of our winding blind-bend mountain roads here really need some extra front-end visibility these days. Daytime headlights are a bit OTT, and use of front fogs (if I had any!) are not legal here when visibility is good.

I also wanted to keep the external appearance of the car as original as possible, hence the idea of using the corner units. This also has the benefit of lighting at the full width of the car, which can be useful when some clot takes a corner wide...

The fittings will likely get 2 x "50W" T10 warm white LEDs each, which will operate full-on in daylight, but drop back to side-light brightness when lights are turned on. While an indicator is flashing, the DRL in that fitting will extinguish. The O.E. parking lights in the headlights will be off for normal driving, but will work as parking lights and when the DRL system switches off. A small plastic box and a few relays will do the switching, with a few external connections.

Did a similar system for the XM a couple of years ago, with the same double T10's in its front sidelights. Simpler there, because no need to interrupt the DRLs for indicating, as they are in well-separated units, and the new LEDs (dimmed) also function as side/parking lights.
Chris
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Clever idea. I sometimes feel a bit vulnerable in the BX when nearly all the cars nowadays have daytime driving lights a non lit up car could be missed by a modern motorist used to seeing cars fitted with fairy lights. In fact I almost always drive with dipped headlights these days if it is at all gloomy or I am in hills or mountains. Its safer that way.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Would it not be easier just to use the dim-dip function already built into the car ?
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Did consider that. DRL has the advantage that pinpoint bright lights, especially at the outer extremities of the vehicle, give oncoming drivers a really rapid reading of the vehicle's position on the road, and an unmistakable cue to take any necessary avoiding action.

Given the winding and blind bends of our 21km local main road here (which I have to drive 9km of several times each week), and the number of young idiots in small Audis and Seats who use it as a race-track, my main priorites are: be seen, be on the right side of the road, and - importantly - be able to be rapidly stationary when hit*. Fortunately, Citroen brakes help no end with that last!

* This automatically (here) throws responsibility for the collision on to the other driver, so protecting one's own NCB.
Chris
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Ah fair enough, post pics if you get it to work :)
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Will do. Waiting for a couple more bits to arrive.
Chris
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

From the description, it sounds like that would let white light out of the sides of the indicator. That would be illegal in the UK (if anyone cared enough), would it give you the same problems?

You can get a DRL strip that fits perfectly between the bottom of the headlight glass and the bumper, across the width of the headlight. It can also do dual colour as an extension of the indicator. Might be a perfect off the shelf solution.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Thanks, Vanny - I'll keep that sideways light spill under review.

Have done a test fitting of a pair of LED units into one indicator unit on the bench, and fortunately the LEDs main throw is forward (they have a lens at the tip), and they sit inside the silvered masked portion at the side.
Still a bit of playing about to do.

Have seen a good few cars with aftermarket LED strips under headlights, and it would be a very straightforward fitting in that gap on the BX. However, I'm not keen on the drastic change in driving appearance it would give the car, so would rather make use of the existing small fittings.

This is what I achieved for the XM a couple of years ago...
Additional T10 slot in each sidelight
Additional T10 slot in each sidelight
Sidelights (engine off)
Sidelights (engine off)
DRLs (engine running)
DRLs (engine running)
Circuit diagram
Circuit diagram
Chris
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

While by the letter of the law that wouldn't be legal here, and the UK has its own rules on vehicle lighting, that looks so 'Factory' i bet no one would even notice.

I do recognise your concerns about being seen. Amazingly the BX isn't the worst car I own for light output, and the other one was made in 2013!